Wednesday 22 June 2011

Spoons with surprise interviews, Haileybury School

Hi there :)
So I didn't have time to blog the other day because I went to the open EVENING for Haileybury School and came back really, reallyyy late and just didn't have time. So I'm just going to talk about Haileybury School a little bit before I talk about Sevenoaks.

So I reached Haileybury School at about 5:00 and when the taxi drove into the school the first thing that crossed my mind was, "Wow. That's kind of small."

Well. It was definitely smaller than I expected, but when I stepped through the gigantic double black doors, it revealed very, very lovely quads along with their iconic green domed chapel. It was very charming and very lovely. Also, the fields just on the side of the school were beautiful, even though they weren't expansive.

Anyway, I had a little chat with Mr. Monk (Or that's what it sounded like anyway.) and he was really, really nice. :D Then after we discussed my grades, (which they were really impressed with.. :P) and Mr. Monk was like, "Ok! We're going to have an interview now!" And I was like...great..What is it with English boarding schools and private visits. Just because I couldn't make it to an opening day doesn't mean that you have to give me an interview that I NEVER prepared for because you never told me about it AND so yeah? Right? It's completely uncalled for >:(

Oh well. The interview with Mr. Monk was really lovely :) SO much better than the 1 hour grilling that I had at Malvern College. Eurghh... >:( Now THAT was mean. The boarding schools did really seem to like me though. Both Malvern AND Haileybury. ;)

OK. So about the part of the title with the spoons. So the Haileybury School interview really only consisted of 2 questions.

1. What's your favourite book?
*He asks this question to all the students he interviews*
To which I answered (Not exactly, but around the same lines): Well, that's a hard question. I have always been interested in books and words since I was really small, but I was never really inspired to read all by myself. Then I saw this little boy with glasses reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire or something like that and it was this think and I thought, I want to be able to do that. So the first real books I've ever read were mostly Enid Blyton books at the time, but after that, I tried Harry Potter and it really gave me a completely new scope on how I viewed books. I'd just wolf down these Harry Potter books. Harry Potter would probably have to be the book that has impacted me the most in terms of how it's inspired me to read and write and it really helped me to cultivate a love for reading and writing in general. However, I feel that the best book that I've read is actually "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. That book was pure genius.

2. What is the most interesting thing you could do with a spoon?
*Ok. Now I have to mention that he told me that he's never asked a student this before.*
Ok. So I said something a little strange.: I would bend the spoon into a different shape because you can do that with my cafeteria spoons and it's really interesting to see what you can bend them into.

Well, my answer was a little longer than that, but around the same lines, you know?

So then he talked about how he went to Oxford to study Law and History and how the head dude was like, "How would you go about writing a law to undermine obscenity" or something like that and I was like..WTF??? WHOA. HARD QUESTION. Then Mr. Monk was like no of course you don't need to answer that. HAHA. But I think <--this is him talking. I think that the most interesting thing you could do with a spoon is really really look at it.

DEEP.

AMAZING, this guy. :)

So anyway. I saw Haileybury at it's best. I mean, the sun was shining, the music department was amazing, the teachers were absolutely lovely, everything.

BUT the HUGE PROBLEM about this school is that only about 50 people do the IB which means that there will only be about 6 people AT MOST in my classes and they'reh ALL pretty much international (Mostly German) so since all the Germans will probably stick together. I'll have REALLY little friends because the IB and the A levels basically have a COMPLETELY different time table. Different classes, everything. :S Like I wanted to do Music Higher but although I'd probably be able to get a music scholarship fine, I don't really fancy having a private lesson with the teacher, which is what it would be like because there are so few people doing IB, and even fewer doing Music at Higher Level. I mean, it's not like I have anything against it other than the lonely part because I am quite a sociable person.

So...I guess it's bye bye Haileybury? IDK. I mean, I LOVE it. I really do, but...:( The IB conditions are definitely not ideal.. :( Hopefully more people will do it? I still might consider Haileybury though!

No comments:

Post a Comment